hi everyone!!💞 i’m back. i really wanted to do a review of heartstopper, the graphic novels + the series that was just released on netflix! soo, it’s summer break for me, currently. i got vaccinated today and my arm hurts- 🤧
well, i’m glad that i get 2 months of holidays, but i have a ton of homework.. and it’s so boring at home.. but, this does mean that i get to blog a lot more, and do some reading. like, a lot. thanks to heartstopper for getting me out of a reading slump. i went from not reading a single book all month to reading 4 books in ONE DAY.👀 yeah no, i don’t get how either-
wasn’t i just complaining about how my intros were so short earlier? well, that’s changed. this one time, at least. anyway, let’s get into the review~
synopsis (volume 1)
Charlie Spring is in Year 10 at Truham Grammar School for Boys. The past year hasn’t been too great, but at least he’s not being bullied anymore. Nick Nelson is in Year 11 and on the school rugby team. He’s heard a little about Charlie – the kid who was outed last year and bullied for a few months – but he’s never had the opportunity to talk to him.
They quickly become friends, and soon Charlie is falling hard for Nick, even though he doesn’t think he has a chance. But love works in surprising ways, and sometimes good things are waiting just around the corner…
age rating: 12+
once i saw the netflix trailer for this series on youtube, i knew i had to get to the books first before watching the show. so, i went to z library, downloaded the first book and started reading. i was intrigued from the very beginning, and just like that, i had read every volume of the series, one by one. oh, and did i mention that i read all four of these in the same day? this is my comfort book. 🤧💞
that’s how good this series was. so wholesome, and just so cute-. all the characters were amazing & nick and charlie’s relationship was so sweet..🏳️🌈 reading this made me want to read other books by alice oseman, and i am currently reading solitaire (her debut novel) i cannot wait for the 5th installment of this series to release :((
each volume ends in some sort of a cliffhanger, which makes you want to read the next book immediately. in the first part, we’re introduced to nick and charlie and how they slowly start becoming friends.🍂the third volume is my personal favorite! especially the part where they all go for the trip in paris and the formation of the ‘paris squad’
i love how diverse this book is.💙we have diverse LGBTQ+ characters, and people of color. i would recommend this book to people who aren’t a big fan of books because i feel like it would get them into reading. :)) it’s a quick & easy read. also, can we just talk about the art?? it’s so simplistic and adorable- 5/5 stars.
i rate this show 5/5 stars as well. let me explain why:
what i thought
- the casting is perfection: all the actors resemble the characters from the books so well! and they all actually act like teenagers. and the actors look kind of exactly like how i imagined them to look like in real life. 😀
- the lines are almost the exact same as the ones in the books: okay, so there were some new changes to the series but i love that the lines were almost the same as in the book. like, every time i was watching an episode i would connect what the character was saying to the book.😂
- the new characters: like, the new character imogen – and isaac, based on aled’s character
- imogen: a lot of people dislike her, and i did too, at the beginning. imogen is friends with nick.i like how she was happy that nick was with charlie and accepted their relationship ✨
- isaac: we don’t get to see isaac that much, but he’s kinda iconic. he has a book everywhere he goes, and in the first episode, i noticed he was reading a good girl’s guide to murder. that’s like my favorite book📚- his character is based on aled, who is one of charlie’s best friends.
- tao & elle: tao is now my favourite- with his sarcasm, and savage comebacks and he is so dramatic-. and his friendship with elle is (goals). i would rewatch the show just for tao and elle’s moments in it. don’t even get me started on tao’s hair. 👁️👄👁️
- victoria: she only makes a few appearances but she’s so iconic. and can we talk about how she’s such a good & supportive sister to charlie??💛
- nellie: even the dog looks exactly like the one in the book. but seriously, nellie, nick’s dog – is so cute~
- the soundtrack🍃 when a song by girl in red started playing i was sO …glad for the recognition it was getting!😭 i love all the other songs that were in the series too.
and last but not least, nick and charlie – they became even more likeable after i watched the series. their relationship is so cute & wholesome and their chemistry is so real. 💞🌻i thoroughly enjoyed binge-watching this series, and would definitely recommend it. read the books first, though.
whew, that took a while. i hope you enjoyed reading! and i hope this convinced you to read heartstopper. if you’ve watched/read this series, let me know what you thought of it! thanks for reading and i’ll see you soon..